• Suitability: Directors, senior executives and owners of small businesses
• Experience: No prerequisites required
• Duration: 1 day
• Number of modules: 5
• Assessment: multiple choice examination
This course is also available at a location of your choice for up to 12 delegates per course. Please enquire below if you are interested in booking a private course.
Provides Directors, Senior Executives and Managers of any organisation with an understanding of their legal and moral responsibilities for health and safety in the workplace. It is aimed at those who have overall operational or strategic accountability for an organisation, responsibility for determining and implementing effective safety and health management and monitoring its success. This course deals with civil and criminal legislation as well as providing tools to help improve the safety culture within a business.
The Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) offers a dedicated one-day course for directors, senior executives and key decision makers, covering everything they need to know to determine, implement and monitor effective health and safety management policies within their organisation. IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors (replaces the old IOSH Directing Safely Course) teaches delegates to better understand their level of responsibility in relation to health and safety in the workplace, equipping them with the skills and strategies they need to develop effective business management systems.
Aimed at those who hold operational and strategic accountability for workplaces with fewer than 250 employees, IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors is specifically designed to enhance a delegate’s understanding of the relationship between health and safety policies and a high standard of business/management performance.
With the ultimate aim of cultivating a positive health and safety culture within their organisation, the course will enable delegates to recognise the importance of adequate planning, resourcing and regularly reviewing health and safety strategies. Delegates undertaking the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course will also be able to recognise their responsibilities from a legal, moral, financial and corporate perspective, helping them to plan and integrate these health and safety strategies into holistic business management systems and wider objectives.
IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors – course overview
Delegates will study a total of five modules on the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course, each of which aims to underline the importance of implementing an effective business management system. They will help to provide an understanding of the consequences that may arise as a result of poor senior management strategies, while also highlighting the positive impact that leaders can have on business performance by setting and regularly reviewing targets and KPIs.
The full syllabus for the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course can be found below:
Module 1 – The Moral, Legal and Financial Case
• Moral, financial and reputational drivers of health and safety
• Legal requirements -> Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986, Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
• Costs of failure to the business and its reputation
Module 2 – Plan
• Legal requirements of health and safety policies
• Key elements of an effective health and safety policy and when it should be updated
• Directors’ responsibilities and resourcing
Module 3 – Do
• How to identify/manage organisational risks
• Emergency planning
• Consultation and worker engagement
• The effect of communication by top management
• The importance of providing high quality training and the benefits of accessing professional advice
• Developing standards for procuring goods/services to minimise risks
• Managing contractors
Module 4 – Check
• Methods of auditing/monitoring
• Proactive and reactive data
• Where to obtain information on external changes that may impact the organisation
Module 5 – Act
• How to review the effectiveness of a policy
• How to implement strong, visible leadership skills
• Organisational commitment in relation to good corporate social responsibility
• Requirements for good corporate governance/annual reporting
• The importance of continuous improvement in line with organisational priorities
The IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course offers countless benefits to delegates, as well as to their organisation as a whole. From an operational perspective, their newfound knowledge will enable them to help increase productivity, continuity and profitability across the business, as well as improve its corporate reputation among suppliers, clients and partners. In addition, delegates can use their skills to lessen the number of accidents and absences, as well as contribute to a reduction in insurance premiums and legal costs.
Upon successful completion of the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors training course, executives and directors will be able to recognise the importance of health and safety compliance at top management level, identifying all of the steps required to achieve these goals. Delegates will also be able to enhance their own personal leadership skills, which they can then implement to help shape their organisation’s wider health and safety vision.
Additional skills that delegates will learn on the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course include:
• Describing the role of operational directors, senior executives and owners of small businesses in relation to their legal, moral and financial responsibilities
• Explaining the importance of integrating top management health and safety policies into business management objectives
• Planning the direction for health and safety management by implementing effective policies
• Explaining the value and benefits of health and safety training and when to access competent advice
• Learning how to ensure that internal controls are working and understanding the importance of continually improving business management systems
• Explaining the positive impact that a leader’s attitude/support can have on improving health and safety culture
A maximum of 12 delegates can attend the IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors course at any given time, ensuring that training is consistent with SOCOTEC’s bespoke, small group-focused style of learning. Teaching can be delivered in a format that best suits delegates’ individual requirements, with the course combining face-to-face learning with additional pre-course online content and an optional e-learning module.
Training is fully flexible and can be undertaken on your own business premises or at SOCOTEC’s dedicated training facility in Milton Keynes, Burton upon Trent, London and Cardiff. Alternatively, our trainers will locate a training room that lies in close proximity to your organisation. A qualified, IOSH-accredited trainer will ensure that a projector and all learning materials will be provided on the day, saving your business valuable time, money and resources.Contact us here
to find out more about IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors, as well as SOCOTEC’s wide range of in-house
and training facility courses.
Can’t decide which health and safety course is best for you? Read our IOSH vs NEBOSH FAQS
to help guide you through the decision-making process.