The IOSH Leading Safely course is fully accredited by the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, teaching the principles of effective health and safety management and how these can be implemented within an organisation. Designed for those in positions of senior responsibility, the training course equips delegates with the knowledge and skills to analyse, review and improve health and safety standards, promoting the benefits that this can have on business performance.
- Experience: No prerequisites required
- Duration: Four hours
- Assessment: Diagnostic questionnaire and an optional e-learning module (both of which will be completed before the course)
- Teaching method: Classroom-based learning which can be delivered in-house or at one of SOCOTEC’s training facilities across the UK
IOSH Leading Safely – aims/objectives
IOSH Leading Safely aims to sharpen delegates’ understanding of the value and importance of health and safety leadership, enhancing their ability to successfully integrate these standards within business management systems. They will examine the individual roles and responsibilities of those in leadership positions with regards to health and safety, understanding the consequences that may befall themselves and their wider organisation if their policies fail to be managed effectively.
Delegates will plan, develop and implement the overall direction of health and safety policies within their business, understanding the importance of regularly monitoring and improving their business management system to ensure that it remains both compliant and effective.
IOSH Leading Safely course structure
Before they undertake IOSH Leading Safely, delegates are required to complete a diagnostic test in order to analyse their current attitudes and behaviour towards health and safety. They will also have the option of completing an e-learning module prior to starting the classroom-based content.
While there is no other means of formal assessment during the IOSH Leading Safely classroom course, the content is highly interactive, featuring a mixture of group discussions, case studies and theory work. Delegates are required to submit a personal action plan during their training, where they will use the results garnered from the diagnostic test to identify, review and improve upon specific health and safety standards within their business.
Delegates undertaking IOSH Leading Safely will also receive the following:
- An app to access their diagnostic tool/action planner (via iOS from Apple or Android from Google Play)
- Access to a safety leadership community with targeted news items and notifications from IOSH, including discussions on themes in safety leadership
- Useful links about safety leadership from the HSE and Institute of Directors
Who is the IOSH Leading Safely course suitable for?
Delegates in a senior management or leadership role will be suited to IOSH Leading Safely, including directors, senior managers, CEOs, MDs and executives within companies of all sizes and sectors.
IOSH Leading Safely course outcomes
By the end of IOSH Leading Safely, delegates will have a greater awareness of health and safety policies and how to integrate them into the wider business. They will have also obtained a solid understanding of effective health and safety management skills and be able to set ongoing, realistic targets to improve performance.
Once delegates have completed the IOSH Leading Safely course, they will be awarded an accredited certificate to illustrate that they have acquired effective leadership qualities in health and safety management. Certification will be delivered six to eight weeks after completion of the course and has no expiry date.
IOSH Leading Safely – course overview
The IOSH Leading Safely course covers a broad spectrum of topics that will enable delegates to become more effective at health and safety leadership. These include:
- Understanding effective health and safety management, practices and key behaviours and what these mean for different leadership roles
- Case studies – when things go wrong and getting leadership right
- Reviewing management performance and making a commitment plan to improve
- Shaping your health and safety management vision for the future
IOSH Leading Safely is available for up to 12 delegates to attend at a given time. If you are interested in booking a private course, please enquire below.