Shower Head Cleaner
What is shower head cleaner and what is it used for?
Shower head cleaner is an all-in-one acid de-scalant designed to clean and remove limescale build-up. If left untreated, this can prevent a smooth and efficient flow of water and cause issues with temperature, water pressure and irregular spray patterns due to the spray plate holes within the shower head being blocked.
The hot, humid environment created when a shower is in use provides the ideal conditions for mould, bacteria and other microbes to thrive, particularly when the slime created from the limescale build-up prevents contaminated particles from being flushed out by the chlorine in the water. In order to prevent this from happening, shower heads should be cleaned thoroughly once a month, although regular weekly cleans are recommended to prevent a serious limescale build-up.
How do you clean/descale a shower head?
Shower head de-scaler is an aqueous solution of sulphamic acid and benzalkonium chloride that works to remove the calcium and magnesium carbonate that causes limescale deposits to form. To successfully descale a shower head, adhere to the following instructions:
- Pour out a neat or dilute shower head de-scaler at a maximum ratio of 25% (1:3)
- Remove the showerhead and submerge in the solution
- Remove and re-submerge the shower head several times to allow the product to reach restricted parts
- Avoid direct contact with the substance and ensure there is sufficient ventilation of the area to prevent the formation or spread of mists in the air
- Rinse thoroughly after required contact time (recommended for 20 minutes).
What are the benefits of using shower head cleaner?
As well as its primary used as a de-scalant, shower head cleaner is effective at removing traces of Legionella bacteria and can also be used to clean sanitary appliances such as urinals and taps. It helps to maintain a good flow of water through the shower head, and unlike bleach and other chemical cleaners, prevents damage and the growth of certain types of bacteria.
- Ensure that the shower head de-scaler is stored in a cool, well ventilated area, but try to avoid storage at a temperature of below five degrees Celsius, as the product may encourage a build-up of mineral deposit. This can be reversible when temperature is increased and does not affect the efficacy of the product.
- Check that the component materials of the shower head are compatible with the limescale remover prior to use
- Do not mix the shower head de-scaler with products containing sodium hypochlorite
- If using on plastic shower heads, test the product on a small area of the shower head before using on plastic to avoid damage
- To test the shower head de-scaler in laboratory conditions or on site, measure the pH or acid strength using the Tintometer acid strength tablet count test method. This should usually be at a pH level between 0 and 2.
For full guidance on health and safety matters when using shower head de-scaler, please consult our Safety Data Sheet (SDS). You should also ensure that a 'Control of Substances Hazardous to Health' (COSHH) assessment is carried out prior to use.
The shower head cleaner is available for purchase as a 10 Litre solution via credit/debit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay. Please contact us if you would like to pay by bank transfer or raise a PO. See table below for shipping costs.
- 1-2 Drums £53
- 3-8 Drums £72
- 9-31 Drums £90
If you would like to receive further information on shower head descaler, or want to find out how SOCOTEC can support you with additional Water Treatment & Hygiene services, click here or contact us.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh