Asbestos Awareness (unaccredited)
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous material that was often used in brake linings, roofing, flooring and insulation materials due to its extensive range of physical properties, including high tensile strength, malleability, flexibility and durability and thermal, chemical and electrical resistance. When disturbed, asbestos releases fibres into the air which, if inhaled, can cause serious and potentially fatal lung diseases, including mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, asbestosis and pleural thickening. These diseases can take decades to develop and as asbestos was not banned in the UK until late 1999, any employee who worked in buildings built before this date could be at risk.
SOCOTEC’s Asbestos Awareness course will help protect employees from the potential dangers of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) and help employers fulfil their legal obligation in providing staff likely to come into contact with ACMs with appropriate information, instruction and training to keep them safe.
- Suitability: Anyone who may come across asbestos/ACMs during working activities, as well as duty holders/supervisors who manage or control those directly at risk
- Experience: No prerequisites required
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Number of modules: 3
- Assessment: Final test
- Teaching method: Online
Asbestos Awareness – aims/objectives
SOCOTEC’s Asbestos Awareness course aims to educate delegates on the following:
- To have a full understanding of what asbestos is and to recognise the various types
- To raise awareness of asbestos-related diseases and risk factors
- To highlight the legal requirements relating to asbestos and how it is managed in the workplace
- To detail the common types of asbestos-containing materials and where they may be found
- To explain the procedures regarding asbestos-related incidents.
Asbestos Awareness – course outcomes
By completing SOCOTEC’s online Asbestos Awareness course, delegates will be able to identify the different types of asbestos and the health risks associated with exposure. They will also understand the importance of relevant legislation (the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012) and the need for safe working practices. Delegates will also have an understanding of the importance of asbestos surveys and action plans, as well as the requirement of making these documents available to any tradesperson working at a site where asbestos has been identified.
Upon successful completion of the final test, users can download and print off a completion certificate demonstrating their newfound knowledge and awareness surrounding asbestos, related diseases and management procedures.
Who is the Asbestos Awareness course suitable for?
The Asbestos Awareness online course is suitable for any employee who may come into contact with asbestos-containing materials in their work environment. Please note that the course is only suitable for raising awareness and does not qualify delegates to work with, knowingly disturb or remove asbestos.
Asbestos Awareness – course overview
The Asbestos Awareness course is split into three modules and a final assessment:
- Asbestos Awareness – overview
- Asbestos management
- Asbestos-containing materials
- Final test.
If you’re booking e-learning for over 20 people, please use the form below and we will provide you with a quote. For bookings of less than 20, please make your purchase online.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh